"Whom have I in heaven but You?

And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever."



- Psalms 73:25-26

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Traditional CNY Nian Gao

While waiting for the husband to buy lunch back yesterday, decided to make some pan fried Nian Gao (Traditional Chinese New Year sweet cake).

I've always loved Nian Gao since young, not just cos I've got a sweet tooth, but really because my paternal grandmother knows how to make really delicious deep fried Nian Gao - I especially love the egg batter, and with those sweet gooey nian gao that simply melts in your mouth... Yummmm.... :)

But, as deep fried Nian Gao is a little too unhealthy, plus it will make my kitchen oily and sticky, I decided to make pan fried Nian Gao instead!


Tastes quite good!! Considering it was my first attempt! Haha. Brought back fond childhood memories too!
Only thing is I thought the batter could be a little lighter but more eggy... Would try using a different type of batter the next time!

Here’s the recipe for the batter I used this time:
1 egg
Half a cup self raising flour/ or plain flour
¼ cup milk
A pinch of salt

Mix the ingredients altogether until a thick batter forms.
Cut the nian gao into small pieces.
Dip them into the batter and pan fry until golden brown.
Ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment